It was April and the horses were still losing their winter fur. The guide asked about our riding experience, and she didn't think much of mine, considering I hadn't done any backwoods horse camping. I think she was worried I was over-confident or something, but the reality was, I was a bit nervous. My trail riding experience, to be sure, was limited, and I spent most of my younger years riding one of the klutziest equines ever to stumble the earth. (On the trail, I was terrified he would take a false step and we'd go careening down the nearest embankment. Granted, this was in Wisconsin -- not the hilliest of terrain -- but I had a vivid imagination when it came to worst-case scenarios.) So, as we moved out and the guide explained that we'd be climbing steep, narrow paths that eventually took us above the redwood canopy, I can't say the butterflies didn't flutter.
She wasn't kidding when she said steep and narrow. But it was gorgeous and awe-inspiring to ride among the towering trees. Our horses were sure-footed, and we emerged in a small mountain meadow. Turkey vultures flew below our perch as we ate our picnic lunch.
Later, leaving the park behind, we remembered that there were rolling blackouts in the area. It was the year of the energy crisis in California, before the governor was removed and replaced with Ah-nold. To me, the amazing thing was that, riding horseback among the redwoods, we were so far from all that. Electricity? Who needs it? We were busy exploring nature, getting around on horsepower.
Seven years later -- this past weekend -- the talk of the town wasn't blackouts, but fire and evacuations. We were fortunate. The fires stayed to the north and we enjoyed a couple of quiet days in a cottage by the river. And now, back in the construction zone, I can't help but think how resilient we all are. One year it's blackouts, another year it's fires. The next year, who knows? But we keep calm and carry on, as they say, and amidst the crises, we manage to have a little fun, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment