1.25.2008

Bella Roma

My days in Rome back in '92 (for context, that's the year Bill Clinton was elected President) are fondly remembered. The salami and provolone sandwiches, the ancient cobbled streets of the Forum, the myriad marble busts of various emperors lined up in row after row of every museum in town. Not to mention the pastries. Mmmmmm...pastries.

Well, Rome's been enjoying something of a revival in our house these days. We've been watching the '70s BBC miniseries I, Claudius on an almost-nightly basis, and I've been totally sucked in to the intrigue and plotting and overall soap-opera-ness of ancient Rome. I haven't seen the recent HBO series, but I imagine this stripped-down, somewhat dated version is just as, if not more, satisfying to watch, even with the lack of CGI and the bad makeup jobs. (I think they might actually be using Silly Putty to give Caesar jowls.) So, if you haven't seen it, check it out. I hear the books are good, too.

We added a gastronomical element the other night when we went to SPQR, a new trattoria on Fillmore. Despite arriving early, it was already packed and we had to take a seat at the bar. Bummer, we thought. But after cozying up to the counter and taking a look at the menu, we realized we had some of the best seats in the house. Our server was charming and helpful, and the wine flowed generously all around. 

It wasn't exactly Rome, but it wasn't too far off.

1 comment:

jess said...

You're making me miss Italy something fierce. Admittedly, not hard to do.