7.04.2007

Hiking for Independence

Happy 4th of July! We celebrated the birth of our fair nation with a hike around nearby Mt. Tam. After a winding drive up and around the mountain, with some spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and the city waayyy in the distance, we started off on a hike that was probably the most varied and interesting that we've taken so far. Rocky and steep one minute, plains-like and meadow-y the next, we never knew what was around the next bend.

But what surely gets the award for the strangest site of the day was the Music Stand. This is a funny little clearing in the middle of the woods, not far from a small stream, where there are a couple, well, music stands. Why? It is a mystery. But apparently hikers leave little mementos behind, like wind chimes and pictures and figurines. There were even some carefully balanced mobiles hanging from nearby branches.

It's just one of those strange little things that add some delight to your day. I'm not sure if the photo does it any justice, but it was the best we could do.

2 comments:

jess said...

I love that! Sometime I need to show you my pictures of the miniature village we found on Madeline Island. Also, with every new post I become increasingly convinced that I maybe chose one of the least exciting cities in which to live. (Shhh...don't tell. Folks in this town think they've found utopia and I fear a flogging will be in my future if anyone discovers my true feelings.)

Anonymous said...

The mystery music stand sort of reminds of the bras and beads that people in Vail and other CO ski resorts throw onto the pine trees. Yes, you'll be blisffully riding the chairlift up towards the mountain peak when you'll happen upon trees laden with bras and beads. It's very Mardi Gras meets O Tannenbaum. But it does leave one with the question...who wriggles out of their bra whilst careening 50-feet high through the winter air on an open chair? Not to mention how they get it out from under their parka...